Life as a Digital Nomad is both completely freeing and a bit limiting. On one hand, you are free to live and work from anywhere in the world – as long as you can connect to the internet. On the other hand, you are limited in your amenities and comforts that come with working at home or in an office setting. For Digital Nomads, however, the freedom to travel and work is worth learning how to live minimally.
The act of living minimally doesn’t come naturally to all. This is precisely why we have created this Digital Nomad packing list! It includes all the basics – everything you’ll need to live comfortably on the go.
The Importance of Packing Right
There are so many ways to pack “right” when it comes to the digital nomad travel backpack. First, you want to make sure you have all of the essentials. Once you’ve got your must-haves down, you must be sure that everything fits!
In addition, having your digital nomad packing list perfectly planned will be crucial to your overall personal comfort as professional performance. You don’t want to find yourself in an unfamiliar country without a proper adapter to charge your laptop or personal item that you can only get at home.
Once your list is perfectly curated, it might take a few rounds of practicing to get everything included that you need and want. This might mean that you have to prune your digital nomad gear list down more than you expected.
Not to worry! With our digital nomad packing list, you’ll be sure to leave home satisfied with everything that you’ve got in your digital nomad travel backpack.
What to Consider Before Packing
Packing for a digital nomad trip is a lot for packing like vacation – only this trip is much longer and more unpredictable. Which means you need to be ready for anything.
- Weather – no matter where you are traveling, it’s a good idea to pack for a warm day, cold day, mild day, and rainy day.
- Allotted number of bags – are you planning a trip to a single location? If so, you might be able to get away with bringing a few pieces of luggage. Otherwise, you’ll have to ensure everything fits in a single bag.
- Budget – if you can afford to purchase what you need when you get to your destination, you may be able to pack lighter. However, it’s important to check if what you need will be available where you’re going!
- Equipment & weight – will you be able to carry everything you need to live and work without putting yourself or your equipment at risk?
What to Pack
1. Essentials & Paperwork
When you’re leaving your home country, you must have all the essential documents that you need to travel packed in your digital nomad travel backpack. Without these documents, you put yourself at risk of being unable to travel, spend money, and find lodging.
- Passport – keep a digital copy on your devices and a paper copy stored in your luggage
- Government issued identification – Driver’s license or similar ID card
- Boarding passes – print a paper copy in addition to the digital one on your device
- International banking card
- Traveler’s insurance
2. Electronics & Gear
What would a digital nomad be without all of their electronics and gear?? Now, this section will depend on your particular area of work, so we’ll keep it to the general basics that should be on every digital nomad packing list:
- Laptop and charger
- International power adapters
- Cell phone and charger
- Laptop case
- Notebook and pens
- Portable charger
- USB variation adapters
As we mentioned, digital nomads need to be ready for anything. Usually, this means overpacking, but with our handy guide for packing digital nomad travel gear, you’ll know how to keep it light! If you can, it’s always a good idea to stick with black clothing. If you can’t get to a washing machine, it won’t look as dirty as lighter clothing will.
- Thin gloves
- 3-pairs of socks
- Three pairs of underwear
- Leggings or long underwear
- Cotton shorts
- Long sleeve shirt
- Flannel shirt
- Lightweight, waterproof, thermal coat
- Formal outfit (1)
- Comfortable, versatile shoes
It’s important to stay fresh even while you’re traveling the world. Not only does it keep you looking good, but you will feel great and be able to present yourself in a way that is attractive to potential business partners, roommates, and friends.
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss
- Travel-sized containers with soap, shampoo, and conditioner
- Multi-use nail clippers
- Quick-dry towel
- Pads & tampons
- First aid kit
5. Other Must-Haves
It may seem like this list is getting extensive, but we aren’t finished yet! Here are a few more items that must make it on your digital nomad packing list:
- An internet source
- Collapsible, reusable water bottle
- Minimalist travel wallet
- Waterproof backpack or luggage
What Not to Pack
Finally, here’s the part of your digital nomad packing list that doesn’t include piling more items into your bag! When you’re packing, there are probably going to be a few things that you think you’ll need, but don’t. Here are a few of those things:
- Hiking boots
- Too much cash
- Headphones that go over your ears
- Anything you don’t use more than once a week at home
- Physical maps and/or guidebooks
Digital Nomad Packing Tips
Alright, now you’ve got your digital nomad backpack list all sorted out! Now it’s time to pack it all in and get ready to start traveling and working. Here are the best tips for packing a digital nomad backpack:
- Roll your clothes instead of fold them
- Purchase items (like shoes) that are made of flexible material
- Seek out multi-use tools
- Purchase waterproof and durable items that won’t fail you on your travels
And that’s it! Now that you have the complete guide for packing a digital nomad travel backpack, you’ll be well on your way to living and working from anywhere in the world. Travel safe and have fun! Most importantly, check which one of our plans will work better where you're going, so you’ll always be connected.
Share on Social Media!